Spring Vegetable Quinoa Minestrone
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounces) can great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, thyme, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, quinoa, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans, asparagus, peas, broccoli, and kale. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables have softened to your liking.
- Remove bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.