Oh, how I love the Pinterest Challenge!! I love how it motivates me to actually try stuff that I’ve pinned!
This month I decided to actually try making one of the many laundry detergent recipes I keep seeing all over Pinterest. I decided to make this Laundry Detergent by The Frugal Girls. There are a lot of detergent recipes on Pinterest but they are generally the same. The only thing we did was add Oxiclean.
I got a few friends together and recruted them to make homemade laundry detergent with me. It was an exciting Friday night for us! We went to dinner and then headed to Walmart to buy our supplies.
It was so simple! We made 4 batches in about an hour.
Here is all you need make your own laundry detergent:
- 1 bar of Ivory soap, Dove soap or 1/3 bar of Fels-Naptha soap. We used Ivory soap.
- 1/2 cup of Borax
- 1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup Oxiclean
- a 5 gallon bucket
- containers to store detergent in. We found ours at Walmart for around $5.
Once you have all your supplies:
- Grate your soap
- Heat 6 cups of water on the stove and add grated soap. Stir until melted.
- Add 1/2 cup of Borax, 1/2 cup of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda, and 1/2 cup of Oxiclean to the same pot. Mix together until everything is dissolved.
- Fill the 5 gallon bucket with 1 Gallon + 10 Cups of water – All together you will make 2 gallons of laundry detergent.
- Add soap mixture from stove to bucket and stir.
- Pour into your container.
- Let detergent sit over night so it will thicken and gel up.
Super easy to make! And the best part is we all love it!
I definitely recommend making homemade laundry detergent. I’ve been using it for about 2 weeks now and couldn’t be happier. Plus, we still have plenty of ingredients left over to make more!
Have you shared your Pinterest inspired projects yet?