This tutorial and the photos within it may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Rhyming Fun for everyone! Help early readers learn to rhyme with these Free Printable Rhyming Puzzles.
Today’s freebie is a fun rhyming activity that can be used in the classroom and at home to help young children recognize words that have similar ending sounds. Not only does rhyming make reading fun but it also helps with early literacy skills. Phonemic awareness – the ability to differentiate sounds in words, is important to reading development. Reading and singing rhyming words is both fun and educational. It allows children to hear similar sounds in words like hat, cat, and bat and is the first step in phonemic awareness.
To make learning and recognizing rhyming words more exciting than just memorizing words, I’ve created these Rhyming Puzzles.
These free rhyming puzzles are perfect for grades pre-k through kindergarten. I’ve included 60 puzzle pieces and 30 pairs of rhyming word. Each puzzle piece includes a picture and a word. Children can match the puzzle pieces by the pictures and the letters at the end of the word. This will also help them learn to match words with pictures and ultimately read the words on the puzzle pieces.
For pre-k students, I would recommend starting with 5 pairs of words and slowly increase the number of puzzle pieces as they master the first set. For kindergartners, I recommend starting with 8-10 pairs of words.
Tips for Using Rhyming Puzzles
- Print on cardstock. Using cardstock will help the puzzle pieces last longer.
- I also recommend laminating them especially if you are using them in your classroom with multiple students.
- These Rhyming Puzzle Pieces are perfect for center activities. Students can work independently or with a partner to match words that rhyme.
- Parents can also use these puzzles at home to reinforce early learning skills.
- To have students use the rhyming puzzles, simply scatter them around the floor or table and
I’ve made it so easy for you to download this awesome Rhyming Word Puzzles. Just add your name and email in the form below and this freebie will be delivered right to your inbox. Then, open your email and save the PDF file to your computer. It’s that easy! Once the PDF is saved to your computer, just print and your child is ready to have some fun.
Looking for more Learning Activities for Kids?
PERSONAL USE ONLY
- This file is for personal use only. When you download a free file on this website, it is licensed for personal use. You may use the item for unlimited personal use.
- Digital reselling, sharing, redistributing of the files is NOT allowed. In order to share, use the direct URL to this page.
Fun Books that Rhyme
I also wanted to share a few of our favorite rhyming books. Pair these awesome books with the rhyming puzzles and make rhyming fun for everyone!