Corn Chowder with Potatoes and Chicken – a delicious and creamy soup full of corn, potatoes, chicken, and bell peppers. What’s not to love about a hearty soup that’s easy to make and full of flavor?!
I don’t know about you but when it’s cold and raining outside, I just want to stay in my pajamas all day and be lazy. And, even though it’s the first day of spring, it is cold and raining here in Va Beach so I knew it was the perfect day to make a big pot of Corn Chowder with Chicken and Potatoes. This soup was inspired by Panera’s Summer Corn Chowder. It’s my favorite soup and I really wish it was on their menu all year long but since it’s not, I guess I just have to make it myself:)
Not only is this soup hearty and full of fresh vegetables, corn, and potatoes, but I added shredded chicken to the recipe because hubby likes meat in his soup. Feel free to leave it out.
There is nothing better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold, rainy day! Well, I guess staying in your pajamas all day and eating warm soup is the best thing on a cold, rainy day. And, there calling for snow tomorrow. Snow on the first full day of spring should not be allowed. I’m ready for 70 degree days.
Do you love Panera’s Summer Corn Chowder? Then you are going to love this Corn Chowder with Chicken recipe! You can even make it in the slow cooker which is always a good thing. You can also leave the chicken out for a vegetarian soup. Gotta love an easy soup recipe.Print
Corn Chowder with Chicken
Corn Chowder with Chicken – a delicious and creamy soup full of corn, potatoes, chicken, and bell peppers. What’s not to love about a hearty soup that’s easy to make and full of flavor?!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 5 cups fresh/frozen corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- Bacon, cheese, and green onions for garnish
- Place oil and butter in large pot over low heat. Add diced onions and cook for 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for an addition 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn, peppers, chicken, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and half and half. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.