Well, I’m sorry but I had to do it.
I heard that today was National Donut Day so I had to make homemade donuts. And since I like to keep things relatively simple around here, especially when it comes to baking – I decided to make Cherry Donut Muffins.
This was my first time making homemade donuts so instead of using a donut pan and kept it easy with a mini muffin pan.Print
Cherry Donut Muffins
Cherry Donut Muffins – A fun twist on the classic donut. Just add cherries and cherry juice for a delicious breakfast treat.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or half & half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 24-cup mini muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, cherry juice, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Add batter into muffin ins evenly about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and place onto a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, mix together powdered sugar and milk.
- Dip each donut muffin top into the bowl of glaze. Place donut muffin back on wire rack to set for 10-15 minutes.
I guess these are actually more like donut holes than donuts which means I can eat 1 (or 3) and not feel guilty. It’s not like I ate an entire donut right?!
Yum! Doesn’t everything taste better with cherries? We definitely think so. Connor could eat an entire jar of cherries all by himself if I let him so when he saw that I made Cherry Donut Muffins, he was super excited to eat a few this morning.
Ok, now I’m off to drink a cup of coffee and treat myself to a Cherry Donut Muffin.
Have a fabulous National Donut Day and remember – Donut worry be happy!