What do you do when you’ve been snowed in for four days? You make Bleeding Tissue Paper Inspirational Art.
It’s another snow day here in Va. Beach and I’m loving it! Last week we got over 14 inches of snow which means the entire city shuts down for days. It’s been a week and we still have snow all over the place. Schools have been closed since Thursday and the teacher in me is loving it!
Snow days = pajamas days!
I love snow days because it forces you to stay in and get stuff done around the house. We also worked on a few craft projects together. I’ve been wanting to make Bleeding Tissue Paper Art since I first saw it on Pinterest a few years ago and I thought it would be fun to use snow instead of just water.
It’s now an official snow day craft! Of course, you can use water if you don’t have snow.
Materials needed to make Bleeding Tissue Paper Inspirational Art:
- Bleeding Tissue Paper
- A bowl of snow (or water and a paint brush)
- Vinyl Letters
Step 1: Tear pieces of tissue paper into small pieces.
Step 2: Cover canvas with tissue paper.
Step 3: Sprinkle snow over tissue paper. Use your hands or a spoon to spread snow over tissue paper. You want all of the tissue paper to be wet. Carefully shake extra snow off of canvas.
Step 4: Let tissue paper dry.
Step 5: Add fun shapes like stars using dark tissue paper. This step is optional and will depend on the design you want on your canvas.
Step 5: Add vinyl letters to canvas. This step is optional. The canvas looks awesome without adding a quote but I’m obsessed with my Cricut so, of course, I had to use it:)
Connor wanted a galaxy looking canvas art so we started with light colored tissue paper. After the first layer dried, we used a star punch to punch out black tissue paper and placed them around the canvas. Then we used more snow to wet just the stars.
How cute is that?!
I also used my hexagon punch to make one similar to the one I originally saw on Pinterest. I’m giving this to my niece to hang in her bedroom. I’m in love with both of our canvases. It was such an easy project and perfect when your stuck inside because of bad weather.
Tips we learned from our Bleeding Tissue Paper Art:
- You definitely have to make sure you are using bleeding tissue paper. I found mine at my local Michael’s. You can not use cheap tissue paper from the dollar store. You can also order it online HERE.
- The darker the color, the better. You can probably already guess this but the darker colors will bleed better on the canvas. The dark purple star was actually black tissue paper.
- You can add layers to darker the colors. For example: To make the red darker, we added another layer of red tissue paper after the first layer dried.
- Use punches to make fun shapes on your canvas.
- The tissue paper will bleed onto the table or the surface you are working on so put a towel down or use an old tablecloth to protect your table.
- You can’t mess this project up.
Happy crafting my friends! I hope we’ve inspired you to make your own Bleeding Tissue Paper Inspirational Art.