Beef and Barley Vegetable Soup
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup pearled barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 3 yellow gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups green beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley- optional topping
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the meat and stir to coat the meat completely.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven, or large pot. Add the meat in batches. Don’t over crowd the pan. Cook the meat, searing on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate once seared. Continue until all meat is seared.
- Add onion to pot and saute until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Place browned beef back into pot along with carrots, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, barley, broth, salt, pepper, seasoning, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove cover. Stir and add green beans. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until beef is tender and vegetables are soft.
- Serve with fresh parsley.