It’s Cinco de Mayo and Friday – the perfect excuse to drink margaritas, eat chips and salsa, and stuff our faces. Did I mention drink margaritas? Because, that’s definitely my favorite! I also love churros. I’m pretty sure I could have chips, salsa, and churros every night and be very happy:)
We’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo with a few of our neighbors and I’m in charge of making dessert. Our local Mexican restaurant serves churros with an apple filling so I decided that we needed this same sweet treat at home tonight. And, guess what? I definitely lucked out because these baked Churro Bites are so easy to make and the apple dipping sauce is even easier to make.
Let’s just get right to it, shall we. It’s Friday and we’re ready to party! All you need are 6 things – puff pastry sheets, butter, cinnamon, sugar, apple pie filling and caramel sauce. I’m sure you already have cinnamon and sugar so you just need to pick up three things from the grocery store. Cut puff pastry sheets into small strips and bake them for a few minutes. Then dip them in butter and roll in cinnamon sugar. All I can say is YUM!
These churro bites melt in your mouth and taste great dipped in the caramel apple sauce I whipped up in about 5 minutes. If you make these baked churro bites, you have to make the caramel apple dipping sauce.
Don’t forget the taquilla for your margaritas. You can’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo without margaritas and churros!Print
Baked Churro Bites with Caramel Apple Dipping Sauce
- 1 package Puff Pastry Sheets (2 sheets)
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
Caramel Apple Dipping Sauce:
- 1 can (20 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Unfold and cut each puff pastry sheet into 4 sections and then each of those sections into 1 inch strips. (32 small strips all together)
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- While churros are baking, mix cinnamon and sugar in small bowl.
- Remove churros from oven and dip in butter and then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Let cool on wire rack.
- To make caramel apple dipping sauce, mix apple pie filling and caramel in small sauce pan. Cut apple chunks into smaller pieces with knife or whisk. I used my chop and stir tool.
- Pour caramel apple dipping sauce into small bowl and serve with baked churro bites.
Cheers to a fabulous Friday and happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!