Acrylic Poured Canvas Art with Vinyl Cut Images – How do you make poured paint projects even better? You use the Cricut to cut vinyl images and add them to the canvas.
Connor and I have been obsessed with paint pouring this summer. It’s the perfect art project when it’s too hot to do anything outside. And, I love that every canvas is different. But, we took our paint poured canvas and made them even better with my handy dandy Cricut.
Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Cricut Explore Air 2?!
It’s awesome! And, as soon as I saw the new unicorn images available in the design space, I knew I had to make something with them.
So, we did what every crafty person does. We took a few of our latest paint poured canvases and added vinyl images to them.
Aren’t they awesome!
Supplies needed to make Acrylic Poured Canvas Art with Vinyl Cut Images:
- 8 x 10 canvas
- acrylic paints
- plastic cups
- Cricut Explore Air 2 or Cricut Maker
- Cricut cutting mat
- Transfer Tape
- Cricut Weeder Tool
- Make your acrylic poured canvas art by adding paint colors to one plastic cup. We layered about 6 different colors in each cup.
- Slowly pour the paint onto the canvas and move canvas around in a circular motion until the canvas is completely covered. Let dry paint.
- Open the unicorn images in the Cricut Design Space. Place vinyl on Cricut cutting mat and load into Cricut. Now let the Cricut work it’s magic.
- Weed vinyl from around image and apply a piece or transfer tape over vinyl. Remove image and apply it to the canvas.
I was a little worried that the transfer tape would take some of the paint off the canvas but it didn’t. Woohoo! This project definitely turned out better than I thought it would and I’m loving these unicorn canvases.
Tips for Making Acrylic Pouring Canvas Art
- Watch lots of YouTube videos.
- Don’t be afraid to use a lot of paint. The more paint the better.
- Repeat the layers of paint at least twice in your cup. We like to add three layers of each paint color.
- Let paint dry for at least 24 hours.
- Make a mess and have fun!