As the kids head back to school, it’s the perfect time to talk about making Earth friendly choices and doing more to take care of our planet. Start the school year off with fun activities and challenges to save our planet.
We’ve had a lot of fun this summer doing craft projects with items that we would normally throw away. Connor and I have spent a lot of time talking about recycling and upcycling but there are so many things we can do together in our house and in our community to help save our planet.
Here are 10 things we can start doing now to help:
Reduce and Reuse
- Start by reducing the the amount of water used when taking showers, washing your hands, and brushing your teeth.
- Get Your Craft On! Upcycle items that would normally go in the trash or recycle bin and make something awesome with it.
- Make and give gifts that help the Earth like seed bombs, recycled paper notecards, etc.
- Reduce the amount of paper plates, plastic utensils, and paper napkins your family uses. Try switching to all cloth napkins, reusable bags, etc.
Get your kids excited about recycling!
- Set up a fun recycling center in your house. We made it easy with a small trashcan and basketball hoop. Who wouldn’t want to shoot hoops while throwing trash away.
- Decorate your recycling bins
Get your community involved!
- Organize a day to clean a local park or neighborhood. Gather volunteers and pick your date. Then just get together and start picking up litter. This is a great community service project and a fantastic way to get your kids involved in helping keep our environment clean.
- Recycle Rally! Rally your child’s school to recycle with the PepsiCo Recycle Rally. It’s a FREE nationwide program that directly benefits K-12 schools and students by providing valuable incentives and resources to help make recycling easy and fun. Not only will you have access to free lesson plans, posters, and certificates but you’ll have an easu to way to track your school’s recycling progress so you can earn awesome prizes and other rewards. Plus, there are fun challenges and the chance to win big cash prizes! Visit Recycle Rally for all the details you need to get started.
- Take the one bag challenge. Try to only fill one bag of trash a week. We’re going to start this challenge this weekend.
- Sign up for Recycle Rally!
It’s never too late to start recycling! What’s the first thing you’re going to do to get into the recycling routine?