Diane over at In My Own Style shares an ingenious tutorial on how to make your own rug using fabric and vinyl flooring. I immediately headed to Joann's and picked out my fabric. Then I went to Lowe's to get the vinyl remnant, spray adhesive and water based polyurethane.
I loved the fact that I could pick any fabric that I wanted and I could make it myself for a fraction of the cost. How much better can it get?
Diane gives very detailed directions in her tutorial HERE but it really is pretty simple. I put newspaper down and did it all on my dining room table.
- Cut your vinyl remnant to the size you want. Mine measures 3 ft x 4 ft.
- Spray the vinyl with spray adhesive.
- Spread your fabric out over the vinyl and smooth out.
- Apply two coats of polyurethane
- Once that is dry, flip over the vinyl. Spray more adhesive to the edges of the fabric, fold over and smooth the fabric out. Then use duct tape to make sure it sticks to the vinyl.
- Apply two coats of poly to the fabric edges.
- When dry, flip over and apply a few more coats of polyurethane. I did 3 more coats like Diane recommended.
- The only thing I added was a rug gripper to the back so my rug didn't slide around. I just wanted to make sure it didn't move around in my kitchen.